Red, Blue or Nothing.

 “Do not wait for the last judgment. It comes every day.”   Albert Camus


I do not think politically.  I think in terms of moral movements.  When I think about politics I try to think in terms of the outlook held by the parties in power regarding the governed, ethical standards of taxation, honor, and law and order.  I do not suggest that I have any insight that makes me able to look into any leader's heart, or soul.  But I do consider the manner in which they speak versus act, the degree to which they reveal their motives versus how they act, and how they act towards those without power, without a voice, or without any ability to do anything other than exist.  The choices made towards those who have no advocates reveals the leader's heart within.

"When ice appears out of doors, and boys seize it up while it is solid, at first they experience new pleasures. But in the end their pride will not agree to let it go, but their acquisition is not good for them if it stays in their hands. In the same way an identical desire drives lovers to act and not to act." Sophocles



I do believe that the political minded people see the world differently than me, and seek to aim the movements and momentum of power in those without power towards their favor.  The belief in the heart of the typical citizen can be stirred to action.  Patriotism can be riled to action.  People who fear power in the hands of the state often fear and distrust patriotism.  However, every side of every political avenue of power utilizes whatever means it has available.  Patriotism is just one of those avenues of power.

 “Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with new self-respect, with new power, and with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson



The decisions made are one thing.  Why they are made is quite another.  And then, how they went about it is quite another.  My father told me that he thought that I was one step to the right of Pat Buchanan.  My father in law, who is a very bright man told me in the earlier days of familial relationship that I was a lot like Edward "Ted" Kennedy.  The point here is that both thought quite differently of my motives, but could have thought my goals were the same.  A professor in university who I respected deeply, but differed greatly, introduced me to another professor as someone who wants to get the same things done as she did.  The end goal therefore is not the same when we measure a person's interest in power, as the reason they wish to do, whatever that is that they want to do. I do respect both Kennedy and Buchanan, btw.  I am drawn to people with deeply considered ideologies and personal philosophies.  I had signed photos from both, and had them posted in my office.  When people of a certain political persuasion visited, they almost certainly were confused by the dischordant presentation.  But had they asked, I'd have told them what I just said here, I appreciate people of deep conviction and principle. 

“What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine."  Friedrich Nietzsche


So if I don't care about who has power, and do not pursue it myself, how do I see the world?  Isn't it all about power?  A professor without much else to recommend him for, came up with slogan, people in history were motivated by:  Gold (money) God (beliefs and values) and Glory (recognition and ultimately power).  I would add to this Love or loyalty, because otherwise you could not explain a variety of selfless actions or behaviors.  I think there are perhaps others, but I haven't found them in direct form yet.  I keep searching.


"The long unmeasured pulse of time moves everything. There is nothing hidden that it cannot bring to light, nothing once known that may not become unknown. Nothing is impossible."   SOPHOCLES


So, how do I vote?  Don't I end up screwing myself?  Wouldn't voting for moral people regarding politics result in a catastrophic failure?  Someone who knows me relatively well said me voting is like having Andrew Dice Clay being at the head of the National Organization of Women.  Perhaps it is.  But what I call myself is a Monarchist.  The reason for this is not because I believe there is a King on this earth who will reign well.  It is because I trust God, I believe in Jesus, and I hope as a result.  Human politics and figuring out how to govern, without graft, abuse, scandal, has been going on since humans have gathered in tribes, villages, social units of any sort, or even, as a world community.  We still haven't figured it out.  So I vote to try to help or do the least harm.

“People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves.”  ALBERT CAMUS


I am conservative in how I've lived my life.  I have only had my wife as a sex partner.  I've never done illegal drugs.  Although I've been drunk, and acted idiotically, it has been the exception not the rule.  I've chosen to live by a code, and I've, for the most part, stuck to it.  This isn't, however, intended to judge others.  Everyone has their own path.  My path is one that I've stuck to, despite a great variety of temptation.  I've lusted, I've hungered for more and wanted for things I should not pursue.  But, I have not acted upon that.  When I vote, getting back to the question, I do not follow my personal path.  I follow that which will help the most people, in the most ethical or moral fashion, and in such a way that won't violate my beliefs.  So I am a Monarchist who has no earthly king.  In the absence of that, I am loyal to the US President, whatever party.  I would not support a Hitler or Mao, or Stalin, but fortunately, we've not reached that point, yet.

 " Sic ego nec sine te nec tecum vivere possum." Ovid



The reason for my writing about who and what I am, why I believe, and where my path leads, is not an exercise in vanity.  I've simply faced too many people who accuse me of being of capricious whim in my views, and being shallow.  I assure you, those are false accusations.  If you were to say, Alex Ness is a jerk, well maybe.  If you said Alex Ness is full of crap, possible.  But I think deeply on those things that move me.  We only get so many years, months, days, hours, minutes and seconds to carve out our existence.  I intend to make my life worth the effort.

"In his arms, my lady lay asleep, wrapped in a veil. He woke her then and trembling and obedient she ate that burning heart out of his hand. Weeping I saw him then depart from me." Dante Alighieri


"Everyone knows that time is Death, that Death hides in clocks. Imposing another time powered by the Clock of the Imagination, however, can refuse his law. Here, freed of the Grim Reaper's scythe, we learn that pain is knowledge and all knowledge pain." Federico Fellini


Comments

Popular Posts