Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Quest

I lost a friend.  Edmund Quinby, of Tallahassee, Florida.  He was an artist, a friend and someone who I looked to for advice on occasion.  We were not identical in views but we shared an identical goal, that our work together was a quest, that we were on to achieve greater acceptance of our work, and to aid each other in our quest together.  We were allies, and wanted the best for each other.


Our quest was not unlike the quest knights of King Arthur.


An impossible task was before them, to restore the king, and restore the land.  They had been called by Arthur, Rex Eternus, to find the chalice that had caught the blood of Christ, when he'd been hung upon the cross.  The Holy Grail as it was called, could bring life back to lifeless, restore hope to the hopeless, and make vital the flesh that had been withered by aging or disease.


The legendary Grail was worth more gold than could ever be mined, or found, and was subject to numerous quests.  But only a rare few knights were worthy of finding it, and fewer yet were worthy of touching and grasping the holy vessel.


But what if the Holy Grail, the vessel capturing the blood of Christ, was the body of Christ?  Some writers suggest that the Grail was a metaphor for the Church, or something other than a chalice.  Some recent writers suggest it was a secret bloodline of the French kings. 


I do not give any credence to the metaphorical interpretations of the Grail, nor do I actually have any idea about a historically true Grail.  I suspect there could be souvenir hunters, relic seekers, because that is human nature.  But would there have been someone who collected the blood of Christ in receptacles and kept those unsullied for generations, with a line of known handling so that it could be provable?  I doubt the provenance aspect, but I don't doubt that there could have been something like a souvenir here or there.  But not one we could prove.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You rebel you

I am often told that I think too much.  When in my mind people do not think enough.  I am told I feel too much.  When in my mind people d...